Thursday, August 7, 2008

Little Did He Know . . .


Oh, doesn't he look so happy here? So carefree. Frolicking on the path at the zoo. He had no idea what was in store for him just two days later! Poor baby.

I mean how do you explain surgery - tonsillectomy, to a three year old? I know! Impossible, right? I tried, I really did. On Sunday, I told him that we would be going to the doctor, or docker as he likes to say, and that when he got home his throat would hurt for a few days. He didn't get it, why should he?

So, Monday morning came and I think both myself and Rick were ready to back out of the whole thing. We were just so nervous and of course, I just couldn't stop thinking about all the worse case scenarios. I won't share any of the gory details of those scenarios, don't worry!

Cut to after the surgery and I just can't believe how well it went. It was super fast and really, other than seeing my baby so out of it in that sweet little hospital gown, I kept it together pretty well. Once I saw him in recovery though, I did shed some happy tears!

We have been home and on the mend for a few days now. Aidan has really been on a roller coaster ride. At times, it's as if he didn't have surgery at all. He is talking, wanting to eat foods that he shouldn't, roaring like a dragon - all that boy stuff, ya know? Then, at other times he is a big bag of miserable unhappy! He is whiny and CRANKY and weepy and, let's face it, almost unbearable. The kid knows how to work the mommy. He plays me like a fiddle!

I hope that he will only feel better and better as the days progress. I know that's what is supposed to happen, I just hope it all goes according to plan!

The little daredevil deserves a quick recovery, bless his "I just had surgery, but I am going to scream at the top of my lungs" self!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear Aidan did well with his surgery. He will recover and he knows he has you, Rick and Olivia to make him "more well." He will be OK and it soon will be behind him. Hugs and kisses from Grandpa Saint and Mimi for a quick recovery.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, what Saint said. Give him all the ice cream he wants . . . . and tell him to quit whining and be a man about it!!

Dad

Anonymous said...

Hope he is feeling better now. What a brave boy. Let us know when he feels like a visitor or two.

-joy