Saturday, August 9, 2008

Beijing Baby!


We, along with most of the rest of the world, watched the opening ceremonies for the 2008 Olympics last night. What an amazing evening!

The performances were stunning. I was blown away, really. Rick will tell you - I was talking to the tv like crazy!

"Look at that!", "how did they do that?!", and "that is BEAUTIFUL!" plus many more comments were flying out of my mouth every 10 minutes or so. Rick got a good giggle out of me enjoying the show.

While it is hard to narrow down my favorite performance, I think it has to be the LED screen and the dancers who painted a traditional Chinese painting on a canvas in the center of the LED screen. It was incredible.

The dancers were so graceful and flexible as they contorted their bodies in order to create not only the painting, but also a visually captivating physical performance. Wow! I LOVED it.

I also really enjoyed the build of the whole show as it took you through most of Chinese history. It just kept getting more and more impressive as the show went on!

One of the reasons I have been excited about these games, was to see and experience (through the television) the culture of China. I think the opening ceremonies definitely delivered.

Okay, one sour note - the "you & me" song at the end. Come on, they don't really believe that garbage. Yeah, you and me - unless you are from Tibet, right?!

2 comments:

Rick St. Peter said...

My favorite part was hearing the story of the little boy who came in with Yao Ming...amazing, amazing stuff!!

Love ya
r

Anonymous said...

My favorite part was 'hearing' the cute little commie kid PRETEND to sing!!

Guess Who?