Saturday, March 29, 2008

What we did today, Saturday, the extension of Aidan's Birthday






Much like our plans for Aidan's actual birthday went defunct, so did our after party a week later. Oh the plans I had! We were supposed to go to New Haven, KY. Aidan is crazy for trains and there is a great train museum there. It is an hour and a half away though. So, this morning (the morning of the grand event!) we changed our plans. Instead, we went to Louisville to check out the zoo. We went to the Cincy zoo last summer and really enjoyed it. Of course, in talking to folks to we got a lot of opinions about the two zoos. We decided to find out for ourselves. :)

As we left Lexington it was a little chilly, but we thought we could handle it. We layered on our clothes, brought a little blankie and some snacks.

On a side note, I gave my new "Baggallini" a trial run. I ordered it for our summer trip to Disney World per the disboards recommendations. I LOVED it! It is the perfect size and shape for hauling all the crap you will ever need on an outing. And, the strap sits perfectly across my, well - you know . . .

Okay, so we were ready to rock n roll! The sun came out on our way, were the zoo gods smiling upon us?? It seems they were! It was a nice time, not so chilly that we couldn't manage and we actually had fun. The orangutans were curious and friendly, the reptiles were really different than any we had seen before, the big animals were out and sunning themselves and - we got to see the baby elephant!!

There were some animals that we didn't get to see: sumatran tigers, sea lions, regular tigers and hippos. We were not amused.

The kids had to sit on every single sculpture of an animal. I think Aidan thought he was riding the real thing or something! Don't they look sweet together? They also sat on an elephant and a buffalo. I didn't get pictures of that though - see below!

Oh, the only real bummer, my STUPID camera kept shutting off. Turns out, it was the batteries - Duh! Of course I didn't bring any extra batteries, so every picture was a gift. I was hoping and praying and wishing that every time I pulled out the camera, it would work. I ended up with a few cool shots.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alright, here is my comment. It looked like you had a good time at the zoo. Aidan is not as big as a gorilla but his sister is definitely growing up. Look forward to seeing you all in April. Keep in touch. I enjoy the reading and the photos. Grandpa Saint and Mimi

Anonymous said...

Loved the pics of the kids! Olivia is turning into a beautiful young lady. Adian looks like some of his Rogers cousins. Did the Earth hour thing last night and totally enjoyed the darkness except for two candles and the light from the fire place. Sipped wine with friends and chatted. Thank you Olivia for saving the Earth and for giving Nana a great idea about how to spend Satuday night with friends. We should do this more often!

Anonymous said...

Oooooh, Aaaaah. Aaaaah, oooooh.

Seriously though, it looks like a good time was had by all. As a big zoo fan myself, I think you made the right choice. The trains aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Earth Hour - not too bad watching the NCAA Basketball Tournament by candlelight/fire light. Oh. Were tv's 'sposed to be included? YGBSM!!! NOT during March Madness!!

Free the Dalai Lama!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you all, and most importantly Aidan, had a great time at the zoo. Wish I could have been there. . .I love the zoo!! Matt will get a chance to visit the zoo for Breeze's Birthday, this weekend, in Dallas. . .I think I'll have to sit it out this year :( 95 acres is just more than I can handle, right now!! HAPPY EXTENDED BIRTHDAY, to Aidan. . .Love, Aunt Kate

Anonymous said...

Happy Zoo day my sweet Aidan! How great that you could celebrate your 3rd birthday in such a fun and special way...Oh we're goin' to the ZOO ZOO ZOO how about YOU YOU YOU...

Wish I could have seen and maybe heard the Lion's ROAR.

Love and Hugs to all,
Grandy