Friday, May 4, 2007

It's Been Awhile . . .



I have been soooo busy with work, acting, keeping up with family and the dreaded housework! Last weekend my mom came to visit. It's funny because her visit coincided with the Queen's visit to KY. Yes, THE Queen of England came to Lexington, KY. It was the Oaks and Derby weekend here in horse country, so it made sense that Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Phillip were here. They are big into horses. Anyway, the state was all a flutter!

I have continued to work on honing my digital scrapbooking skills! I have some opportunities to show my work again and want to go about it differently than last time. When I showed my work at the last show, there wasn't one bite! Everyone said the product was cute, but they thought it was geared toward people with kids. So, I have had my thinking cap on trying to figure out how to market what I want to do for people. I really believe that the service I can provide in making albums for people is a good one. And the fact that it is important to me that the albums have a quality to them that expresses an art form is important to me too. Can it be that even though people want their pictures in an album but don't have time to do it themselves, also don't have time to send me their pictures so I can create an album for them?? I just don't know. There is definitely an element to this that requires the consumer to participate in some of the leg work. I am a bit stumped!

Well, here are some layouts I have created recently. One personal layout and one for a friend, sorta client. I am ready to use that word client on a more regular basis!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! These are both great layouts. I like the colors and textures of the one with Aidan looking at the tractor. Very cool!

Pink Granite said...

Hi -
I spotted your question over at Cathy's Bits & Pieces. I wanted to wish you good luck in getting your business off the ground! If people think you do mostly kids layouts, perhaps you could work up some more neutral background wedding themed pages or some heritage pages using old family photos.

I'm also wondering about how to get folks over the hurdle of gathering up their precious photos and sending them off to a "stranger". Perhaps word of mouth and starting close to home would be a plus.

Are there any professional organizations out there for "scrapbookers for hire"? If so they might have some business strategies to share. Or Google "scrapbookers for hire" and see how other folks are doing it.

Last thought: if you know a professional local photographer, you might want to show them the variety of layouts you can do, so that you could perhaps be an adjunct to the services they offer.

All the best!
Lee